[concurrency-interest] Amazon Graviton and implications for concurrent Java apps

Ben Evans benjamin.john.evans at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 08:11:27 EDT 2020

Hi everyone,

I note that Amazon's Graviton processor is approaching availability
and has some interesting performance and other stats:

https://www.infoq.com/news/2020/03/Graviton2-benchmarks/

I was reminded of the oft-repeated idea that Java programmers don't
actually code to the JMM, they code to the stronger x86 hardware
memory model.

With the arrival of these new processors at an attractive price point
in AWS, are we going to see a wave of previously-dormant concurrency
bugs that are tickled by the difference in hardware memory model?

What can we do to prepare for such bugs, and is there anything clever
we can do to help spot them before they cause issues in production?

Thanks,

Ben