Modules vs. Packages

Alex Buckley Alex.Buckley at Sun.COM
Wed Feb 4 17:41:12 EST 2009

Hi Evan,

Please DO use the observer list to ask these questions. The addition of
modules and (indirectly) versioning in the Java language should receive
as much sunlight as possible.

We should distinguish between packages and modules as logical namespaces
in the language, and JARs and OS packages (e.g. RPMs) as physical
containers. It's a shame that packages are so strongly associated with
directories, since cd'ing into a directory and seeing that it contains
classfiles leads to thinking that a package contains types. In fact,
classes belong to packages and the physical representation is a detail.

That said, classes will now belong to modules as well as to packages, so
you are right to ask how to differentiate. A module can and should be
versioned, so if your colleague said "class Foo is in version 1.2 of
com.mesoft.weirding", it's obvious that a module is in play. The
physical container holding that logical module should be relatively
obvious from the module system's conventions.

The reverse-DNS notation is so useful for uniqueness that I think the
language has to recommend its use for module names. But it would be
interesting to hear ideas for syntax other than dot-delimited identifiers.

Alex