[concurrency-interest] AtomicXXX.lazySet and happens-before reasoning

Alexander Terekhov TEREKHOV at de.ibm.com
Sat Oct 1 13:44:02 EDT 2011

[...]
> From my perspective, the main argument for fences in the C++11
> memory model is to allow easy conversion of existing applications.

C++11 most widely used acquire/release fences are unidirectional,
whereas fences in existing classic applications are bidirectional.

regards,
alexander.

"Boehm, Hans" <hans.boehm at hp.com> on 01.10.2011 18:32:05

To:    Alexander Terekhov/Germany/IBM at IBMDE
cc:    Ruslan Cheremin <cheremin at gmail.com>, Doug Lea <dl at cs.oswego.edu>,
       "concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu"
       <concurrency-interest at cs.oswego.edu>
Subject:    RE: [concurrency-interest] AtomicXXX.lazySet and
       happens-before   reasoning

>From my perspective, the main argument for fences in the C++11 memory model
is to allow easy conversion of existing applications.  Another argument
brought forward, especially by the original proposal, was that fences allow
you to further tweak certain pieces of code, e.g. if you were releasing two
custom-implemented spin-locks in a row.  Both arguments are valid to some
extent, but the latter has always struck me as a very minor issue.  (IIRC,
some of the examples in the original paper can be sped up slightly with
fences.  Some of the other examples don't actually benefit.)  I supported
the addition of fences based on the argument about legacy code.  (Also the
original version was much simpler to add and, as it turned out, mostly
useless.  As often happens, the actual complexity didn't appear until
later.)  I would not recommend that people use C++ fences for new code.

We've had discussions about alternate C++ in atomics elsewhere.  And I'm
sure we will continue to disagree about a lot of it, though I wouldn't be
opposed to eventual support for noncompeting accesses to atomics.  And none
of this is directly applicable to Java.

Hans